What is Frankincense: Benefits
. This is an oil you definitely need to know about! When I say the word Frankincense, you may be thinking Halloween or Frankenstein, right? Or maybe you’re thinking biblical times with the three wise men giving gold, Frankincense and Myrrh to Baby Jesus. Why would the wise men give a strange combination of gold and oils? Wouldn’t you think gold is definitely more valuable than essential oils? Well, maybe not. Could the benefits from Frankincense Oil outweigh the value of gold? (ok, a little pun. Sorry but had to). Maybe there is something more to Frankincense after all. Oh and there is! This is some great oil you’ll definitely want to know about…
So what is Frankincense?
This is a spicy, woodsy smelling oil that comes from the Boswellia tree, native to parts of India, Northeast Africa, and southern part of Arabian Peninsula. The oil gets harvested, or gathered, by using a strategic method. The harvesters cut the bark in light horizontal lines that allow the white milky sap to slowly ooze out of the tree. After the sap dries on the tree, it is then scraped and allowed to dry fully until hardened, which is called resin. It’s a delicate process and believe this… harvesters can only harvest this resin 2-3x/yr. The tree has to be left alone to regenerate for a few years. (wow! What a harvesting process, right? Living in New York, it’s a long process like harvesting and making Maple Syrup – one of my favs!)
How does Frankincense Oil get made?
The resin that I mentioned gets collected and allowed to dry gets distilled by a steaming process, creating that spicy woodsy smelling oil. Ah, now it makes sense why this oil is on the pricey side; a lot of work goes into making it an essential oil. And this great oil can be taken orally (make sure it’s an internal approved oil, like DoTerra), aromatically and topically. I use it topically and aromatically given it’s generally safer way to go. But you must be wondering what makes this expensive oil so enticing, right?
Benefits of Frankincense
This thousands of year old essential oil had been used as medicine and health maintenance, even potentially helping fight cancer. Generally used by inhaling the oil (aromatherapy) or by absorbing through the skin – usually diluted with a carrier oil or in a lotion.
- Stress! Given Frankincense’s grounding, anti-anxiety abilities, inhaling its aroma reduces stress by reducing your blood pressure.
- Boost Immune System. Frankincense has an antiseptic quality where people have used it thousands of years ago for their skin and mouth.
- Helps you Sleep! Given the anti-anxiety quality, this grounding oil aids in relaxing your body and brain for relax sleeping (maybe that’s why yogi masters encourage Frankincense oil)
- Helps Digestion. Since Frankincense has that relaxing quality to your body, it also relaxes the muscles in your digestive tract and gives proper digestive health. This flushing (or detox) relieves pain and bloating.
- Aids with Decreasing Inflammation. Inflammation molecules in your body could be lowered when using Frankincense oil. When flare-ups occur, this great oil inhibits the inflammation production, giving a natural relief option.
- Great for you Skin! This great oil has that antiseptic property which is great for cleaning your body from germs (also great in our natural house cleaner). Using this for your skin allows the oil to pull the bacteria off your skin, while keeping you looking toned and healthy.
- May help with Cancer Fighting. There has been more and more studies showing how Frankincense has a compound called AKBA that has a success at killing cancer cells that had become resistant to chemotherapy. If studies continue to prove this, Frankincense could be a natural cancer treatment.
How to Use it
- Add Frankincense essential oil to a room diffuser or an aromatherapy inhaler (buy the inhaler here) for a calming scent
- Dilute with a carrier oil and apply to your skin to help with scars or skin blemishes
- Add it your favorite natural lotion (or buy it at my store)
- make it into a Lotion Bar (see DIY recipe below)
Let’s sum up Frankincense Essential Oil
Aside from an awesome word, Frankincense is an Essential Oil (remember, an essential oil not a fragrance oil) that can offer health benefits – stress and anxiety reliever, boosts immunity, helps reduce pain and inflammation, helps keep skin healthy, and a candidate for helping fight cancer*!
Use Frankincense Essential oil in aromatherapy (in a diffuser or in an inhaler), in household cleaners, in a lotion for skin health, (diluted) for helping with inflammation and pain, and spray it in the air or on body to help ward off bacteria.
*this product is not intended to replace, diagnose, treat, cure, and prevent any diseases. Always consult with your physician. Statements not evaluated by the FDA.
! Frankincense essential oil has no serious reported side effects. It is known to have blood thinning effects; consult with your physician first before using or have a concern.