Extra! Extra! Fluoride does not protect against cavities. For decades the dental world wanted us to brush with fluoride, and even drink fluoride in our water. Fast forward to the 21st Century and it’s become apparent that fluoride is not safe as once was told to us.
What is Fluoride
Actually there are two types of fluoride, calcium fluoride and sodium fluoride. One is natural and one is synthetic, but both can be harmful. The fluoride that is natural is called calcium fluoride, and is found in underground water sources. Though it is less damaging than its synthetic sister (sodium fluoride), it still can cause issues such as weaken teeth and bones when taken in excess.
Then there’s the fluoride we know, the one found in toothpaste and water. That’s sodium fluoride. Sodium fluoride is synthetic (meaning man-made) and is the byproduct from aluminum and nuclear industries. Eeew! A byproduct of aluminum? That’s a toxic metal we try to avoid in our body. And with sodium fluoride, it attracts to other metals and increases its strength toxicity. Not sounding healthy right?
The Affects Taking Fluoride
When we use fluoride and don’t realize what it can do to our body, our body suffers:
- Fluoride affects so much in our body, creating a weakened immune system
- Taken over time, it can damage the liver and kidneys
- Cause stomach ailment
- Memory loss (resembles Alzheimer’s disease)
- Muscle pain
- (can) calcify the pineal gland
- Disrupts the thyroid
- Dental fluorosis
Wow! Fluoride is not our friend. If you’ve been brushing with regular commercial toothpaste, look at the container. It states call poison control center. I have always wondered why since we’re putting toothpaste in our mouth. How can a toothpaste company allow us to put poison in our mouth? After researching and mentioned above, it creeps me out that it’s a byproduct of aluminum and I’m putting it in my mouth!
The Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) states sodium fluoride (found in our toothpaste and fluoridated water) is “…toxic by ingestion, inhalation, and skin contact”. Not to mention it’s more toxic than lead. And more astounding, fluoride has never been proven to significantly aid in protecting our teeth from getting cavities. The reality for preventing cavities and good dental care is proper food nutrition.
How to Rid Fluoride
Fluoride is everywhere, but we can start by knowing what we can consciously avoid.
- Fluoridated water – avoid water you know has added fluoride
- Choose organic, local produce – many commercial large growers spray their food, which has fluoride. They also are watered with chemically fluorinated water.
- Use fluoride free toothpaste – get rid of the aluminum byproduct we use in our mouth, not to mention a poison control warning label. Go fluoride free; because remember, fluoride doesn’t prevent cavities, proper nutrition does.
Sum it up
After many decades and with research, fluoride is not at all good for us. Actually it can be quite harmful
- Fluoride is found naturally (calcium fluoride) and synthetically (sodium fluoride).
- (Sodium) fluoride is a byproduct of aluminum
- Fluoride carries several health risks, such as thyroid issues, dental fluorosis, muscle pain and insomnia
- There are ways to protect ourselves and rid fluoride from our body, such as not drinking fluoridated water, brushing with fluoride free toothpaste, and choosing organic (local) produce
*this product is not intended to replace, diagnose, treat, cure, and prevent any diseases. Always consult with your physician. Statements not evaluated by the FDA.