Benefits of Coconut Oil For Your Pets
Coconut oil is healthy for our pets? Yes! So grab a big jar instead of a small one because our pets need to be healthy too. Check out these great benefits coconut oil has to keep your pets healthy.
I adopted a kitty, and boy is she just not a cutie, but a little terror. (think toddlers that are able to jump four or five feet in the air…nothing is safe!). So my precious terror jumped on my bathroom vanity and started licking my (small) jar of organic coconut oil. Ut oh! I freaked out a little as kitty’s (oh, her name is Ginger) insides are so fragile and cannot endure a lot of different foods, herbs, essential oils, etc. So I quickly researched…phew! Coconut oil is safe. And as I continued to research, it’s not just safe for kitties, but also safe for pups. To boot, it’s actually quite healthy for them. Now I’m a happy “mom” to have Ginger enjoy the healthy benefits of organic coconut oil .
What is in Coconut Oil
Coconut oil are fats and oils composed of triglycerides. All triglycerides are made up of individual fat molecules (fatty acids). It is composed primarily of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT). This makes coconut oil a 90% saturated fat oil. This is not a bad thing (though owners of overweight animals need to keep the calorie intake in mind).
Coconut oil also is made up of Lauric acid, 48% actually. Lauric acid has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties, which makes this oil a great health benefit for our “fur babies”. So when we look at coconut oil, it is quite beneficial.
Incorporate coconut oil for:
- Treat mild gingivitis
- Use as barrier in the winter – rub a little on their paws to prevent road salts from damaging their paws
- A moisturizer for dry skin – bathe your pup with a no paraben no sulfate shampoo (LINK) and apply coconut oil, massage. Then rinse.
- Hairball remedy – instead of the conventional lubricant that contains mineral oil, try coconut oil. Much healthier.
- Helps thyroid – coconut oil has MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) that assist older animals with weight loss
- Helps the brain – MCTs help boost brain power (give 1/4tsp per 10pound weight 1-2x a day)
- Fights bacterial infections – coconut oil is high in lauric acid, a fatty acid known for antimicrobial properties. Putting it on minor scratches and abrasions help fight infection, while being safe in case the animal licks it.
- Helps constipation – for softer stool, give ¼-1/2 tsp organic coconut oil orally 1-2x day (per 10 pound weight)
Get a Jar
Not only is organic coconut great for humans, it definitely provides benefits for our “fur babies”.
- coconut is 90% saturated fat containing MCTs which are great for animals
- contains lauric acid, which is great antimicrobial properties.
- Helps animal’s health with:
- boost the brain
- Skin moisturizer
- Start with ¼-1/2tsp per 10pounds. Start low and work up to 2 tsp a day.
*this product is not intended to replace, diagnose, treat, cure, and prevent any diseases. Always consult with your physician. Statements not evaluated by the FDA. This is not a replacement for veterinarian visits or concerns.